Until I’d started reading the book of Joshua I didn’t realise how many things Moses and Joshua had done which were similar. Moses parted the Red sea, Joshua stopped the Jordan, looks like I’m not the only person but maybe the latest. Here are a few good examples….
Joshua’s Life & Death
The book of Joshua contains many similarities to the story of Moses:
– Moses leads the Israelites out of Egypt. Joshua leads them into Canaan.
– Moses leads Israelites miraculously across Red Sea. Joshua leads them miraculously across the Jordan River.
– Moses sends out spies into Canaan. Joshua sends out two spies to Jericho.
– Moses allocates land on the east side of the Jordan. Joshua allocates land on the west side of the Jordan.
– And finally, Moses gives a prolonged address before dying, as does Joshua. This farewell address at the end of the book brings the parallelism between the two leaders full circle.
Similarities Between Moses and Joshua
Enjoyed presence of God
- Moses – Exod. 3:12
Joshua – Josh. 1:5, 3:7
Led people across body of water on dry ground
- Moses – Exod. 14:1-31
Joshua – Josh. 3:14-17
Interpreted God’s will
- Moses – Exod. 6:1-8
Joshua – Josh. 4:1-5, 6:1-7
Founded later teaching practice
- Moses – Exod. 12:26-27, 13:14-15; Deut. 6:20-21
Joshua – Josh. 4:6-7
God made them great in the eyes of the people
- Moses – Exod. 14:31, Deut. 34:10-12
Joshua – Josh. 4:14
Experienced appearances of God’s messenger
- Moses – Exod. 3:2, 14:19
Joshua – Josh. 5:13-15
Faced people with hardened hearts
- Moses – Exod. 4:21
Joshua – Josh. 11:20
Gave a final speech to Israel
- Moses – Deut. 32:1-43, 33:1-29
Joshua – Josh. 23:1-16
Referred to as the servant of the LORD
- Moses – Num. 12:7-8
Joshua – Josh. 24:29
How about this….
Who do YOU think made the best Israelite leader, Moses or Joshua?
– God parted the Red Sea for him
– He sent the Egyptian plagues, too
– Adopted by Egyptian royalty
– cool Egyptian name, with multicultural Midianite background
– Was played by Charlton Heston in Ten Commandments
– voiced by Val Kilmer in Prince of Egypt
– cool white beard to go with the stone tablets
– Struck the rock when God said “Speak to it.” Punishment: barred entry into Holy Land
– banned pork and lobster
– parting of Jordan River.
– made it into Canaan with everyone (except Moses).
– killed lots of evil pagan Canaanite kings.
– God stopped the sun a whole day for him, and knocked down the walls of Jericho with a shout.
– Established Israel.
– poor name recognition; common Israelite name.
– didn’t part a whole sea.
– Well, who’s played Joshua in a movie?
taken from here